- We are in the era with 100,000 protein structures available. Now we need to analyse what the crystallographic community already have rather than predicting probes in the vacuum.
- When you know the ligand is bound inside the identifiable PDB crystal structure, it is surely affect that protein and we showed you the associated Ki from peer-review literature. So that is how we build the bridge from structures to precision medicine.
- The residues that you want to fish out from the multiple alignment conservation may be there but may not be a must. The atoms that must be there are atoms that stay there and pair up with the ligand most of the time. The residues that causes the change in binding affinities is what you want to fish for selectivity.
- What the drug community need is perhaps a linker such as MANORAA to go all the way from ligands to proteins, pathways, SNPs and target human organs plus a bit of help from the collaborative effort from various disciplines.
- It is the very first attempt that ligand structures can complement the drug discovery pipeline with mostly experimental data source support to the expression levels.
- It works on your phone, tablet, mac and PC so I can browse my drug on the go.
- Its ligand superposition function allows you to make programmable code for fragments superposition on the URL so your drug fragment remains anonymous.
- It is open and free but we will need to survive on citation.
Reference: MANORAA paper
Group 1’s Essay:
Group 2’s Essay:
What do you want to learn more to master collaborative writing skills?
1. Scientific papers are not like novels where you have a story line to keep the reader interested. Most of the time, it is the content of your finding that actually draws the reader’s attention to your papers. So you need a good abstract and a meaningful header for each sections to make the reader follows. Failure at this means you cannot even reach any readers who are going to actually read your papers.
2. It is about management. Ajarn Wi’s tips is to use the cloud as your extended brain because with the amount of information we handle each day, it is very hard to memorise these things even a couple years back. (I show them the Graduation Party dessert menu in my laptop via the Evernote.comwith tagging and separate categories). So this… is how my long-term memory have survived.
3. & 5. Flow charts that are often used in my fields are UML diagram. They can be drawn in MicrosoftVisio which are available on Mahidol IT software resource via intranet. It is also a Microsoft package similar to Microsoft Office but has to be downloaded separately.
4. In general English writing class I took, the main idea is normally the leading sentence of the paragraph. Overall main idea is the first paragraph of the piece. Well, in real life… it is not like that. If the writer has his/her own style that doesn’t conform to this rules, such as pick one of your classmates’s section, then the main ideas are scattered.
6. SPSS statistical packages and bioinformatics packages are what I picked on demand. I mean when I need to use it, I get to learn it from demo and examples. With this era, it is easier than before because you can choose by the amount of users and stars. I mean both because if it gets average of five stars and three users i.e. his mom, his aunt and his brother, it is incomparable with 4.2 stars with 3,000 users. Normally, I have downloaded the trial version and played until I liked it, then I think of purchasing the package. Normally, bioinformatics packages I used are free. That is a very nice things about my community anyway.
How do you feel about collaborative writing with friends?
Ajarn Wi feels that most of you feel stressed out but it is a good start that finally all of you can managed this. As a scientist, we need to juggle our various responsibilities. One of the skills I gradually learned over the years is to prioritise what is important and what is urgent. There are things like writing papers and thesis which they are normally not urgent but it is very important as it determines when you will be graduated. As a scientist, if you work on for years without publishing you will have a problem with the lack of funding as your work was never recognised by the scientific community. Gregor Mendel is the father of Genetics who get recognised only several years after he died because he published his master piece in such an obscured journal. Why not getting the recognition you deserved while you are still able to enjoy it. Nowadays, you can hardly get a high impact work done alone. You need to collaborate, and by this class you learn to writing with closed friends in real time. Combining 5 authors’ sentences in a docx files when all of you have the same deadline is not fun. If you all are typing real-time, then it is getting less confusing than the whole bunches of docx files.
What skills that you have learned and found that it will be important for you in the future?
I am glad that you all have meet the objective of the course beautifully. Now, you can communicate with your colleagues, multi-tasks, and learned how to read scientific papers. Congratulations to our grown up researchers!
เมื่อฉันรู้ว่าเป็นศิษย์ของปรมาจารย์ปู่ Sir Isaac Newton
When I know that my academic genealogy can be traced back to Sir Isaac Newton.
Digging through old books from the shelf,
Discovered thyself memory.
Old books have some chemistry
From primary school back then.
I dreamt to reach the star
Thus far seems out of my fence.
My imaginary abstinence
Has happened from so many things.
Out of my familiar zone,
On a few smart phones and my bench,
Distraction that I have befriended
Suck persistence out from my soul.
Is this called a burn out–
When we’re aroused by nothingness?
Should not that be a bless
To access window of the life,
When fire inside was absent
When we don’t want to fight
When mountain seems so high
&Simple life is my medal.
New floral filter on App Looks
It took pictures so pretty
That’s only in my fantasies,
The real me looks nothing like it’s shown.
Today I feel so exhausted
I paused to play with deceiver
And it lies that I am young forever
What matter was a girl hidden inside
Wrinkles and dark circles around eyes
Freckles got from sunshine every morning
Tears of joy, marks from smile and frowning
Causing this poor thing to get old.
Is it matter how she looks like
If she’s nice and kind as ever.
Some say that it does not matter
So please smile to her when we see.
Baby days so frequent at the peak,
People seek and hide smiling
At forty life got interesting,
But smiling was something a bit rare,
As it seems hidden with what’s inside.
So people don’t smile frequently
Therein hidden unsung story
So pity most are not to be told
To people around from outside
And all kinds of those stranger
Busy life goes by forever
The closer circle was so small.
Till one day the muscles were numb
One only feel handsome on selfie
An unpurposeful smile becomes cheesy
Whilst it used to be best medicine.
Medium: Gelly roll stardust on Black paper
I want to be like a little cactus,
Growing strong on sand and dust.
Adapting to desert afar
Or living in a tiny jar.
Facing the sun when it is hot
Protect itself with thorn it’s got.
Then comes the time it has flowers
So rare that makes people wonder.
Learning to thrive on limitation
Even when life was like fiction.
I learn how to paint acrylic painting after work on Friday. The effects of the sunrise and the beach can be seen if you look at it when your eyes are half closed. So there is a combination of Andaman beach, the two pagodas at Intanon, and the night sky. The class was aimed for Intanon and Galaxy, but somehow pictures in my mind is clearer for the beach and the sunrise sky. There is so much going on in the mind of this artist and the picture tell it all. So here it goes, a mixing of both. ILMAO!
Welcome you to Intanon’s Starry night,
On sunrise and sunset are stunning.
Andaman Beaches are enlightening
inviting you all come to Thailand.
Mountain high in the north of Chiang Mai,
There’re two thai pagoda’s monument.
Down south, there’s emarald ocean,
Please come enjoy the Land of Smiles.
Pink lotus in the pond fonds of light
In the bright sunshine by this building.
Flowers flourish in the morning
Is an astonishing thing on my way.